generic dapoxetine priligy
Welcome to 3DHIT, the forum for UHAnimation - Digital Animation 2D | 3D | VFX | Games Art at the University Of Hertfordshire.
If you are new to the forum please register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Vick's Workthread - MA GamesArt

* * * * - 9 votes

• You cannot reply to this topic
730 replies to this topic

Vick

Vick

Victor Gaza

• 1,048 posts

• Work Thread

Hey everyone !
My name is Vick,I'm 20 years old, I'm from Romania, Timisoara and I would like to apply for Herts in the year 2010, would like to go for 3d Animation or Computer Games Art.
I started drawing for about half a year, had a really slow start and I'm really trying to improve as fast as I can.

I would like to ask you guys, if you'd be so kind, to feedback my drawings/3d renders and tell me if I'm on the right track, if my art might get me accepted in a year to Herts. I'm really frustrated and really want to make my portfolio as best as possible so please bare with me and just drop a line or two.

Thank you very much for your time,
Vick.

P.S. All drawn from reference, Andrew Loomis, George G Bridgman, CharacterDesigns website, and different photographs.

Attached File  DIGIcrochiu6.jpg   49.1KB   22 downloads Attached File  Desene_VICK_021.jpg   51.88KB   12 downloads
Attached File  Desene_VICK_020.jpg   61.72KB   11 downloads Attached File  Desene_VICK_008.jpg   115.01KB   6 downloads
Attached File  Desene_VICK_019.jpg   73.2KB   4 downloads Attached File  Desene_VICK_001.jpg   61.46KB   6 downloads

Moid

Moid

It was the night of the demon

• 14,207 posts
  • Company: University of Hertfordshire
Hi Vick

Nice to see you here, welcome to 3DHit :) Your drawings are a good start, but you need to watch proportion mainly - most of the bodies have areas that are too long, too short etc. Drawing from a real model will help this a lot, especially if you can get a good art teacher to show you where you are going wrong. Keep drawing and keep posting lolooooo

ScottHomer

ScottHomer

-

• 1,156 posts

• Work Thread

• Company: -
Yeah definately, here we have a lecturer called Paul, who will really help you, i kinda thought his techniques where abit tooti fruity at first, but his coaching really really improved my work.

believe it or not i found architectural drawing, using methods such as sighting for measurment really helped me get my perspectives better.

Vick

Vick

Victor Gaza

• 1,048 posts

• Work Thread

Here's my current wip piece. Model is around 9800 tris , mostly quads, a few tris here and there to better end edge loops. Texturing will follow shortly :)
What do you guys think of it ? Any comments or oppinions would do wonderfull :)
Attached File  afroHell.jpg   202.87KB   11 downloads

Moid

Moid

• 14,207 posts
This is fairly well modelled from a technical point of view, however it suffers from weak design. The mesh has an obvious bad fantasy art influence (huge breasts, bat wings, massive hooved feet and a strange tail). What you have created is a chimera. A chimera is a creature made by throwing lots of different animal body parts together in the hope that you will create a SCARY MONSTER :). The word comes from Ancient Greek - there was a monster in Ancient Greek legends called the Chimera, part lion, goat and snake that breathed fire and looks somewhat ridiculous these days

The term has now come to mean any creature designed by adding body parts from one or more creatures to another. This was how monsters were created in many legends up to the mediaeval period, after that writers and artists had to start to get more creative - the more educated the population became, the less likely they were to believe in the reality of a monster. As 3D artists, we are always trying to get the audience to believe in the reality of our creations - if the monster doesn't feel real, we won't believe in it and therefore it has no power over us. Your design is based (probably without knowing this) on the monster designs of 1950s and 1960s B Movies - the classic stick a monster head on a human body technique or dress a man in a rubber suit - both done becasue they were cheap to make - no animatronics, no expensive animation or super imposing to do, just a man dressed up.

Scary eh? Hope you didn't just run away screaming like a girl :)

Probably you just laughed at them yes? Well that's what you need to avoid in your monster designs. Modern audiences are not impressed with the chimera; they know it's fake. A modern monster must be something much more bizarre and yet at the same time seem possible. The alien from the film Alien - extremely frightening and very believable for something that is highly unlikely, yet it feels like it could have evolved, it feels like it could be real.

Now that should have you screaming like a first year who has just been given four projects in one week :)

So think before modelling!

1. Could it exist?
2. How does it live/eat/breed
3. How does its anatomy work - if it has wings they need to be big enough to let it fly (unless it's a penguin of course, but penguins aren't very scary :) )

That's a good start. Now design a real monster :)

Now that's odd, what the hell did 3DHit do to my layout?

Edited by Moid, 07 April 2009 - 09:37 PM.
3DHit or HTML hates me :(

kull222

kull222

Hahaha...Men!

• 1,971 posts
  • Xbox 360 Gamer Tag:kull222
that was an uber post right there, taught me aswell actually :) "its allllll good"

Moid

Moid

• 14,207 posts
Glad it helped, there were more pictures in my preview of the post but they seem to have vanished... :)

kull222

kull222

Hahaha...Men!

• 1,971 posts
  • Xbox 360 Gamer Tag:kull222
is there like a length/size of post restriction?

but 1 quick question what you said was all good and proper, but that means my "Footsoldier" enemy character follows the same cheap wierd head on a bipedial character syndrome damn!

Vick

Vick

Victor Gaza

• 1,048 posts

• Work Thread

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HUGE AMOUNT of feedback !

I'll definitely be more careful next time, and yes I do fail at design *shame* but I really focused more on geometry so I can get a job here and save some money for next year ... I'll finish her though and then start a new project.

I'll post some new work soon just that I'm so darned busy with college right now !

Thanks again Moid !
Vick.

Mike Bambury

Mike Bambury

• 941 posts
  • Company: Sony Computer Entertainment

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HUGE AMOUNT of feedback !

I'll definitely be more careful next time, and yes I do fail at design *shame* but I really focused more on geometry so I can get a job here and save some money for next year ... I'll finish her though and then start a new project.

I'll post some new work soon just that I'm so darned busy with college right now !

Thanks again Moid !
Vick.

Hi Vick. I think you have obvious talent. There's a book called "The Skillful Huntsman" by Design Press. It tells you some great ways to get better at design.
Mike

Moid

Moid

• 14,207 posts

is there like a length/size of post restriction?

but 1 quick question what you said was all good and proper, but that means my "Footsoldier" enemy character follows the same cheap wierd head on a bipedial character syndrome damn!

Heh heh, don't worry I did the same as you when I was your age (hmmm and for a lot longer and a lot worse). The important thing is to start to create something, get feedback and hopefully adapt/change or improve. And preferably kill this sort of thing at the paper /design stage. The sad thing is that a lot of professionals do the same because it never occurs to them to think to a deeper level than that of, oh, need to design a monster... and in 3D there's always the temptation to use that human body you've got from a previous job, change the texture and slap a weird head on top, alien/monster made, job done ;) Every creature and character needs to be able to justify its existence in my opinion, yes there are many examples of stylised 2D animation where you don't need to worry about anatomy or rules of existence, but I think if you are at least aware of some of the deeper processes of creature design it won't hurt you :angry:

Astra

Astra

BBBLLAAAARRGGHH!!

• 855 posts
Listen to this man, he knows his stuff!! Plus his advice isn't too bad either, hehe.

The female monster design is good but it has far too much human characteristics for my liking, the model itself is nicely made then again what do I know? I'm utterly hopeless at modelling :\. Something I find handy when it comes to character design is buy those how to draw books, they come is a wide range of themes and different techniques. Even though they might cost a pretty penny I'll assure you that it'll be well worth the p&p when you do find the right book, just search a little on Amazon or Play.com, there are a lot of good character designing books if you look hard enough.

Another tool of my trade is watching a lot of cartoons and animated movies, it's not only for the entertainment but to get visual reference for future character designs, one of my assignments for Visualisation and Narrative was to design a person from history. I chose the Japanese Samurai as my theme and before I did any designing I looked up the animated series ‘Samurai Jack’, even though the series isn’t historically correct I still got a starting point from it.

Martin (Moid) will be doing a module in the second half of your first year on the history of animation, which means you’ll be stuck in a stuffy room with 50 odd students *coughforcedcough* to watch a range of clips from movies, I’ve taken a lot from the module and the ideas are bursting from the seams. Just plonk yourself in front of the kids channel or grab a movie of interest and start watching.

Vick

Vick

Victor Gaza

• 1,048 posts

• Work Thread

This is what I've done so far with her :) I really want to finish her before I make another model. What do you think ? Texture took around 12 hours mapping + painting. Everything is hand painted except for the eye texture. Will create one soon, just used that for testing purposes :unsure:

Attached File  fata.jpg   108.16KB   12 downloads
Attached File  face.jpg   89.63KB   6 downloads
Attached File  texturePrev.jpg   113.15KB   5 downloads

s_purs

s_purs

Environment Artist

• 4,558 posts
  • Xbox 360 Gamer Tag:B1adefire
  • Company: Rare, Microsoft
good progress so far. put some lights into the scene, even if its just a 3 point light system (shadow casting main light coming from above in front and to one side of the model, a light coming from the opposite side, chest height and from the front about half of the intensity of the main one, and one from behind and below the models with about 1/4 of the intensity of the first one)

will make the model look 10x better

Vick

Vick

Victor Gaza

• 1,048 posts

• Work Thread

A little bit of progress, bumped right now but will remake bump map, not really happy with it. And hair is next on the to-do list. Just wanted to post her up with lights set up. I'm sorry but I'm not good at rendering at all ... hope I did well from your little 3 point lights system advice, thanks a lot for the suggestion too :p

If you guys have other advice/suggestions please go right ahead :p

Attached File  finalprev.jpg   30.1KB   4 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

buy antibiotics online uk