generic dapoxetine priligy
Welcome to 3DHIT, the forum for UHAnimation - Digital Animation 2D | 3D | VFX | Games Art at the University Of Hertfordshire.
If you are new to the forum please register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Shadows to transparency

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

jimbob

jimbob

• 188 posts
Hey everyone,

currently working on a project for cinesite and was wandering if anyone had an idea for how i could make shadows on a object make the object more opaque, im basically trying to recreate the pertronus effect from Harry Potter and from the references i think as the object becomes more in shadow the more see through it becomes

so basically was just wandering how i could make the shadows gradually make the object more transparent in places

heres a image to see what i mean
Posted Image

would this affect be easier to do with a shadow pass as a mask in post was just hoping to be able to tweak it in Maya if i can and get it looking as nice as possible before entering a compositing software

Kind Regards

zanFB

zanFB

Moderators

• 834 posts
maybe hook the sampler info node into your transparency sort of like what martin showed us for getting AO only in shadowed areas

edit: http://www.pdipierro...deTutorial.html literally first google hit on sampler info node :D ghost shader tutorial, might be useful :D you can look for better ones im sure :D

Edited by zanFB, 26 March 2012 - 01:00 PM.

MarkW

MarkW

Mark W

• 1,122 posts
  • Wii Number:na
  • Xbox 360 Gamer Tag:na
  • Company: UH
If you had a sampler info outputting facing ratio UV into a ramp and that ramp into a transparency of a material, all you would have to do is raytrace shadows and you would have what you are looking for.

Mark

jimbob

jimbob

• 188 posts
ahh didnt know about this cheers for the fast replies :) ill give them a test now :)

jimbob

jimbob

• 188 posts
yer works a treat should have trusted google more :p thanks again :)

Moid

Moid

It was the night of the demon

• 14,319 posts
  • Company: University of Hertfordshire
If you want the shadows to directly affect the opacity, use a surf luminance node Output plugged into a Clamp (Input) with Min all 0,0,0 and Max 1,1,1 to control the UVs of a black to white ramp, and place that in the transparency slot of the shader - you may need to swap the black and white points on the ramp around to make the shadow areas the transparent part, and altering the brightness of the black and white effect will allow you to fade the effect in more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online uk